Monday, August 14, 2017

My Further Thoughts on Charlottesville, Virginia

The recent events show how valuable life is. Also, it recognizes while many racists live in my state of Virginia, there are also many progressive, upstanding people in my state who reject the bigotry and the lies from white supremacists, anti-Semites, and white nationalists. A solution isn't just dialogue. It is about utilizing active policies to fight back against injustices going on in America.

This isn't just a problem in America. Racism and bigotry is a worldwide problem that requires input and action from people from across the globe. Many of our grandparents and great grandparents defeated the Nazis during World War II. We will defeat the neo-Nazis (who have spewed slurs and used violence in Virginia) in our generation, because love is much more powerful than hate. I'm a political man, so I will say the following. Trump is a notorious coward by refusing to publicly call out the evil of white nationalism and white supremacy by name.

People from across the political spectrum have criticized Trump on that point. Hatred is not new. My ancestors suffered the Maafa and slavery. My ancestors lived in this land of America. I have every right to live in this land too just like anyone else. This is my country too. We have seen an increase of hate crimes against Muslims in the past few years. We have seen the growth of incidents of anti-black racism and anti-Semitism nationwide. I'm not just making this stuff up. Studies document this, so we have to work ceaselessly in our duty to defend democratic rights and to oppose racism.

We have to be political since voting has consequences. We have to defend living wages, health care services, immigrant rights, affirmative action, women's rights, and other rights that we fought for.

By Timothy

No comments: